Students can apply to the BCG Master degree course, provided that they satisfy one of the following two requirements:
1) they have completed a bachelor degree program (Laurea Triennale) in one of the following classes:
- Biotechnology (class L2);
- Biology (class L13);
- Agriculture and Food Sciences (class L26);
- Pharmacological Sciences (class L29);
and during their studies they have acquired at least 30 CFU in biological areas (SSD BIO) with at least 18 CFU in Genetics (BIO/18), Molecular Biology (BIO/11) and Biochemistry (BIO/10)
2) they have completed a bachelor degree program (Laurea Triennale) in one of the following classes:
- Information Engineering (class L8);
- Physics (class L30);
- Computer Sciences (class L31);
- Mathematics (class L35).
and during their studies they have acquired at least 30 CFU in the areas of computer science, information engineering, biomedical engineering, mathematics and/or statistics (SSD INF/01, ING-INF/05, ING-INF/06, MAT/01-09, and/or SECS-S/01), with at least 6 CFU in mathematics (MAT/01-09) and at least 12 CFU in one or more of the following areas: computer science (INF/01), information engineering (ING-INF/05), biomedical engineering (ING-INF/06), statistics (SECS-S/01).
The same criteria are applied to candidates in possession of foreign university degrees, deemed to be suitable by the Teachers Council, in which it is possible to clearly identify disciplines and number of credits acquired for each discipline. If this is not possible, the documents certifying the career of the candidates will be examined in detail by the Teachers Council in order to assess if their background complies with the previous requirements.
Students in possession of a Bachelor degree in an area of those described at the previous point (Admission for Italian Students), where courses taken in the required disciplines can be clearly identified together with the amount of hours/credits of the courses. If this is not possible, the documents certifying the career of the students will be examined by the Teachers Council in order to assess if their background complies with the previous requirements.
Students must be proficient in English, with a B2 level of competence. In exceptional cases, students without a valid language certificate may be accepted on condition that their level of English proficiency, assessed during the interview, is evidently good. The adequate personal preparation of the candidates, their ability to communicate in English and their motivation are decisive elements for the admission and they are going to be verified and tested during the admission interview.
Knowledge of Italian is not required for attendance. However, as required by regulations, foreign students will have to demonstrate to have acquired basic knowledge of the Italian language before the final dissertation.
The prerequisite to access the BCG Master degree program is an adequate knowledge of the fundaments of either (1) genetics, molecular biology and biochemistry or (2) computer science, information engineering and mathematics.
This will be verified through 1) evaluation of the bachelor study program and 2) direct assessment of candidate scientific background knowledge.
Evaluation of the bachelor study program
EU students satisfying the above criteria will be admitted to an interview for the assessment of their scientific background knowledge. Non EU students resident abroad will be evaluated only according to their previous bachelor study program.
Interview for direct assessment of candidate scientific background knowledge
The candidate's background knowledge will be verified by an interview with the Commission for Admittance to the Master, composed by teaching members appointed by the Teaching Board. The interview will evaluate the expertise of the candidate in topics related to their bachelor degree.
The committee will evaluate each applicant on a 100-point scale:
1) Up to 50/100 points will be awarded for the applicant resume (type of bachelor degree attended, exam grades, further courses attended, additional degrees, etc.)
2) Up to 50/100 points will be awarded for the interview.
Non EU students resident abroad will be awarded up to 100 points for their resume only (type of bachelor degree attended, exam grades, further courses attended, additional degrees, etc.).
The minimum score required for admission is 60/100.
For the Academic Year 2021-2022, interviews for Italian students will take place at the Department of Biosciences, Via Celoria 26, on July 5th 2021. Foreign students who reside in Italy must attend the evaluation interview as well. At the beginning of the interview, students must show a valid ID card or passport for identification. It is advisable to check for any possible updates concerning dates and times of the examination on the website: https://bcg.cdl.unimi.it
Places available: 50 + 10 reserved for non-EU citizens
Call for applications
Please refer to the call for admission test dates and contents, and how to register.
Application for admission: from 30/03/2021 to 30/06/2021
Admission test date and venue: 05/07/2021 - Department of Biosciences, Via Celoria 26
Application for matriculation: from 07/07/2021 to 14/07/2021
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
The University provides:
- A no tax area for students on track with exams and not on track with exams for one year with ISEE certification until 20.000 €.
- Fees exemption on account of merit, income or disability, or if they meet other specific requirements;
- Concessions for students meeting high merit requirements;
- Diversified tuition fees according to the student's home country for international students with assets/income abroad;
The University also provides:
- Part-time study
- Financial aid, refectory service, accommodation,
- Awards and scholarships
Admission, ranking and enrolment
- Registrar office - contacts
- Online information desk InformaStudenti (please register for the first access)
- International students: welcome desk
- Students with disabilities
- Students with SLD
Programme tutoring and contacts